Donvale Primary School Profile
Donvale Primary School is located in a quiet residential street in the outer eastern suburb of Donvale. The school was established in 1967 and has a stable enrolment of approximately 350 students from culturally diverse backgrounds. The school is close to several kindergartens and is easily accessed by public transport.
The mission statement for Donvale Primary School is to ensure that each student will have the best chance for the future by helping them to obtain their full potential at school. The school provides high quality, innovative and inclusive programs to ensure opportunities and successes for all students within a safe and caring environment.
The progressive curriculum encourages excellence in learning by offering programs that foster self-esteem, self-discipline, independence and co-operative skills equips Donvale PrimarySchool students with the self-management, educational and inter-personal skills to become informed contributors to society.
Through the teaching programs the school aims to provide experiences which will:
- promote personal excellence and success
- develop values, attitudes, knowledge and skills that will equip each student to become informed contributors to society.
- Our parent community is actively involved in the school's life and shares a commitment to its future development.
- Donvale Primary School has an on-going commitment to curriculum development and refinement. The school provides a coherent and broad comprehensive curriculum, catering for the individual needs of each student. This is currently offered within a sequential grade structure, focussing on literacy and numeracy skills and learning experiences in The Arts, Science, Technology, Studies of Society and Environment (SOSE), Health and Physical Education and Languages Other Than English (LOTE) - (Japanese / Mandarin).
- There is a commitment to an integrated curriculum approach through enquiry learning, acknowledging the difference in rates and styles of learning, and the development of higher order thinking skills, risk taking, adaptability, co-operation and sound communication techniques. Extension programs are swimming, camps and excursions, cultural activities, perceptual motor program, choir, school concert band, Reading Recovery, gifted and talented programs, Tournament of Minds, and sporting teams.
- Additional support in the areas of English as Second Language (ESL), Extension and Integration programs cater for those students with special needs. Professional development is clearly focused on improved teaching and learning practices.
Donvale Primary School utilises its strong links with neighbouring pre-schools and secondary colleges to facilitate smooth transition from pre-school to Donvale and from Donvale to Secondary College.
The school has attractive, landscaped native gardens and well maintained facilities which include:
- a computerised library.
- an art room.
- a general purpose hall for school and community use.
- a fully equipped music room.
- a science/technology room.
- computer access to all grade levels.
- a before/after school care program.
- a parent managed canteen and parents' room.
- The school community shares a vision of developing the full potential of every child. This vision gives shape and direction to the school's future.
- The current priorities of Donvale Primary School are:
- to further develop a sequential and co-ordinated Physical Education Program.
- to expand the comprehensive and co-ordinated Science/Technology Program.
- to improve the skills of children in grades P-6 in Oral Communication.